Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Germany: The Beginning

Germany- Day 0, 13MAY08
I wake up at 0400 Central Europe time on a plane with people on either side of me, and my husband sitting in the seat behind me. I can't go back to sleep so I decide to just watch a movie. Breakfast is delicious at 0600. When we land, and Matt steps onto European soil for the first time in his life. I'm so glad to be a part of that moment! Sadly, no stamps in the passport because he's traveling on orders, and my new No-Fee passport already has the visa stamped inside.

Outside immigration we meet up with an enlisted guy, get our bags, are hustled about the airport to different rooms, fill out paperwork, and finally get on a bus to begin the four and a half hour trek to Vilseck. Matt, I, and two other officers are the only four passengers on this large tour bus, and as we are Americans, the driver decides to give us a real treat for lunch: Burger King. Apparently at Burger King, McDonald's, and who knows where else, you can pay with American dollars no matter what country you're in. But watch out, with the exchange rate, your innocent burger, fries, salad and a drink might cost you $16.

From the tour bus, we switch over to a 7-passenger van and make our way on the smaller roads through the most idyllic villages to the military post of Vilseck. We get to post and meet our "sponsor," the captain (two ranks above Matt's rank of 2nd Lieutenant), who takes us around the whole post--considering the circumference is about six miles, it didn't take long. We stopped at the commissary to get some groceries, and the PX to see what kind of furniture, cell phones, bikes, etc. they have available.

After sponging up all of this information, we go to dinner at the DFAC (Dining Facility and Containment...nobody can tell me what "containment" means. Oh the acronyms are going to be the end of me!). Luckily for me, that evening there is an FRG (Family Readiness Group) meeting. This is one venue for the wives to gather and see what's going on around post. There were about 8 of us there, so I got introduced to come cool women and got my first way to get connected here on post.

From there, Matt and I went back to our hotel, the Kristall Inn, unpack a little--we could be here for up to four months--and hit the hay. We made it through day zero!

Vilseck, Day 1- 14MAY08, first full day on Post
Matt wakes up at 0610 for his 0630 formation (what they do at these formations, I don't know, they just gather and...do important stuff), and comes back around 0700 to have breakfast with me, and than is off to his 0800 class. While he's gone, I unpack some more, and then head over to the ACS (Army Community Service) building. This is apparently the place for the spouses to go. They have all sorts of classes that they offer, outings, gatherings, etc., and I was able to get the schedule for the rest of the summer. My schedule is now filling up with useful things.

I do some other random errands--get my ID card activated, make sure I'm on healthcare here, make a dental appointment, drop by the automobile testing site--and then head to my one appointment of the day: Fuel Card Rationing seminar. We get a pretty sweet deal abroad in that we get to pay American prices for gas instead of European prices, saving us around $6.00/gallon (yes, they pay $9-11/gallon over here), and we can get these prices at select gas stations all around the country. The hitch is that the fuel is rationed, with each car getting around 100 gallons/month. For the last 49 years the method of keeping track of this ration was inadequate, so people were getting away with not adhering to the rules. Of course, the day we arrive, they start being strict about everything, hence the seminar telling everyone how to switch from using coupons to a ration credit card. The whole thing was unnecessarily long for what I deemed a simple explanation, but I guess if you're use to a system then you need a lot of training to get untrained from it.

From there Matt and I went to check out cell phones and nearly cried when we saw how expensive it would be. They charge 30 euros for 50 minutes a month. BLEH! We couldn't make a decision because our sticker shock was so extensive, so we're going to check on that tomorrow or the next day. Oh, and if you want to talk to Matt and me, get skype. My username is rachel.melone.

As for news about housing, we think we might have found a place that we like. Someone at the FRG meeting told us about a government rental that is off-post and that is going to be completely renovated and ready in about 2-3 weeks. When Matt went to the housing office today they told him there was a place that just came available and will be ready in 2-3 weeks. The really really sucky part was when they told us that if they gave us the keys to go look at the place, we had 48 hours to decide if we liked it. And if we refused to take it, then our housing allowance (the money that is keeping us in this hotel while we search for a place) will be revoked. Entirely. So basically, even to go and check out a place, we're saying that we're going to take it, or pay with our own money to stay in this hotel. Crappy? Yes, but we're trying to work with it. We think we know which place it is, so we're going to go check out the area first (Auerbach in der Oberpfalz). Hopefully the area is good, and hopefully this is the rental the housing office was talking about.

Well, it is quite late here, and I am pooped from the day, my workout, and the mexican food dinner we had tonight. No promises of writing again soon, but I'll try to keep this updated! Thanks for reading!

11 comments:

Jonathan Lipps said...

welcome to germany rachel and matt!

phred said...

Praying for you Rachel and Matt!

Susie said...

Wow... great to get news! Sounds like you've done a LOT since landing in Germany! We pray for you guys "continuously" and know that God has all the details worked out for you in such an amazing way...God will always surprise you! Look for the serendipity of His surprises along the way. Thanks for writing! LOVE YOU BOTH!!

Dave said...

Well, I have you spotted on Google Maps. As well as Auerbach... Grandma and I have been praying for you two in all the rush.

Sammie said...

Glad to hear you're taking all the military "way" (being kind) in stride....have wonderous adventures!!

Sarah said...

Glad to know all is well.

Petr said...

Seems that your life is very adventurous. Praying that you will both grow in maturity in Christ. Welcome to Europe!:) If you are closer, you are always welcome.

ilse said...

This is great! For the past year, I always knew what you were doing each and every day. Even with you so far away, nothing has changed! :)

Sarah said...

This is Sarah from Texas...thought I'd check out your blog. It makes me miss Germany! I can't wait to get back. John and I are getting married in two weeks, and I will go back to Germany with him in a little over three weeks :o)

I can definitely offer some suggestions with the phone situation. John and I don't use cell phones that much, but he uses his a bit more because of work, so he did a normal cell plan and I'm doing a pay as you go type of plan. You should also look into getting a land line when you settle in. I think it's too good to be true, but he can call me in the states from his land line for no long distance fees. So yeah...check into that. Also just know that Deutsche Teleko stinks. It's a monopoly, and as I understand it, all the phone companies have to go through them to get service. And yes, Skype is a livesaver when you're overseas.

By the way, where in the world did you find mexican food? I know there's a Chili's on Ramstein, but I know that's not close!

Rachel Melone said...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I'm flattered that so many people have already read this.

I'll post later on what the deal is with phones.

Texas Sarah: the mexican food was here on post, we didn't have a car at that time to be able to get off post.

Ilse: yeah, now YOU need to start one so I can read it too!

Petr: I'll be in town at least in September, if not before then. I'll let you know when I'm coming.

cindy said...

rachel and matt we have both been praying for you we love you both to awsome words rachel keep it up