Sunday, June 27, 2010

Anybody out there?

So, after almost a year's break, I have gotten a new computer (21" iMac that is simply GORGEOUS) and new photo-editing program that should make posting a WHOLE lot easier. But, since it's been so long, I'm sure nobody is reading this anymore, so before I start putting up the final pictures to our Mediterranean trip last year and everything that's happened since (Norway, Christmas, Rome, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, etc), I thought I'd just put up some pictures from our garden. We just weeded this today and planted a few more corn, pumpkins and sunflowers, so I thought I'd take some pictures. Enjoy!


This is a view of onions (foreground), strawberries and corn (background).

This is a bell pepper plant! We cheated with this one and didn't start with the seed because we had planted all of our seeded bell peppers right before a late frost. The little sphere that looks like a green berry is the very beginning of a pepper!

I was told that if you plant lettuce with onions that it'll keep them safe. Totally true! There's not a bite on this or our other heads of romaine.

This is called Kohlrabi. We don't have it in the states, but it's a cabbage-like plant that ends up looking like some kind of space probe when it's full-grown. We bought it on accident because the sign said it was broccoli. Oops.

Here is one of our three pumpkin plants. They got a late start, as did most of our garden, because of the late frosts. But you can see where the little flowers are forming, at the base of which some pumpkins will be growing shortly!

Here's our experimental banana plant. We gave it up for dead after the first few late frosts hit, but it's coming back! Even if it doesn't bare fruit this year, it'll still be a beautiful green plant.

Everyone loves strawberries! These got an early start last year, surprisingly made it through the frigid winter, and are now thriving as they produce the most mouth-watering strawberries imaginable.

Just some flowers growing in one of our planters. They're really more of a weed most of the time, but these few weeks are worth the weediness of the rest of the year!

6 comments:

Rene said...

I'm still here! I know I've already told you but I love the pics. What a green thumb you have :)

Tina O said...

Glad to read that you are back!

Rachel Melone said...

Yay! Glad to see that SOMEone out there still thinks this is remotely interesting. Glad it's you two ladies :).

Dave said...

I remember once, back in the 40s, Uncle Ray Frenger coming into the house at 2650 Rosemary Lane, all excited because he had found some Kohlrabi in a market somewhere in Denver. I probably didn't taste it. :-)

Jamie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

I'm still here too!! Love the pictures and I'm so jealous of your garden, and the new computer! Can't wait to read about all of your exciting adventures.